Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'll be comming around the mountain when I come....

Well it is week 8 and 2 weeks left in this term. It has been a bumpy but fast ride. I received a good grade on the first draft of my research paper and I believe I will get a good final grade. I will submit the final draft to the writing center before I turn it in so that feedback will help. This week I learned a new method of revising, it's called the paramedic method. I had never heard of it before. This has helped me clean up my paper.

The Paramedic Method

  1. Circle the prepositions (of, in, about, for, onto, into)
  2. Draw a box around the "is" verb forms
  3. Ask, "Where's the action?"
  4. Change the "action" into a simple verb
  5. Move the doer into the subject (Who's kicking whom)
  6. Eliminate any unnecessary slow wind-ups
  7. Eliminate any redundancies.
Original: In this paragraph is a demonstration of the use of good style in the writing of a report.  The action in the original sentence is a noun (demonstration).  Revision: This paragraph demonstrates good style in reports (or)...good style in report writing.   The action in the revised sentence has been shifted to the verb (demonstrates).
Image Caption: Paramedic Method Example

No comments:

Post a Comment